Monday, December 12, 2011

Pin It

A Gardener's Night Before Christmas






Twas the night before Christmas and all through the yard,

Not a plant was left standing, the ground it was hard.
The tools were all hung in the garage with care
A well deserved rest now that the garden was bare.

The bulbs were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of springtime danced in their heads,
I in my Snuggie, my husband with our cat
Had just settled in for a long winter’s chat.

When out in the hydrangeas there arose such a clatter,
I dropped my seed catalogs to see what was the matter.
Away to the front door I quickly dashed,
Half expecting to find my yard had been trashed.

When I opened the door, it was suddenly clear.
Here was a sleigh and eight tiny reindeer
With a little old gardener so lively and quick
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick!

More quickly than crabgrass his coursers they came
And he whistled and shouted and called them by name.

“Now Holly! Now Ivy! Now Daisy and Rue!
On Rose, On Petunia, Fern and Lily too!
To the top of the trellis! To the top of the wall!
Now dash away, dash away, dash away all!”

So up to the housetop the reindeer they flew
With a sleighful of gifts and St. Nicholas too.

I closed the front door and was turning around
When he slid down the chimney, hitting the ground.
He was dressed all in red, with Wellies on his feet,
And a poinsettia on his cap made him look really neat.

He stood up quite quickly and went straight to his work
With a composter for Cathy, a Dutch weeder for Dirk.

There were asters for Ann, a pine tree for Paul
And a garden design book for use by us all.
Next came a rain barrel. This was for Rob.
And finally, for me, a ginkgo key fob.

Then laying a trowel aside of his nose
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose.
He ran to his sleigh and gave a quick whistle
And away they all flew like the seeds of globe thistle.

But I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight,
“Merry Christmas to all gardeners and to all a good night.”

(With apologies to Clement Clark Moore)

 
 
By Karen Geisler

11 comments:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

This poem is great, Karen! Glad to meet you. My husband is from Chicago and went to Northwestern. He spent a lot of time in Wilmette. We still visit the Chicago area frequently because most of his family members are there. Happy Holidays!

Indie said...

Aw, how cute! Great rendition!

Hortiholic said...

Thanks for your comments! I had fun writing it. Hope you both have a great Christmas!!!

PolkaDotGaloshes said...

Oh I love it! What a great version of a classic. Cheers Julia

Jeannine said...

I love the poem. I grew up in Chicago, now I live in San Diego. Last summer I was visiting my niece in Glenview and she took me to the Chalet. I loved it! It would be dangerous financially if I lived near Chalet!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your cute poem. A fun gardening tale. I did this with Twas the Night.. last year with a piece I did on garden gnomes. I paint gnomes and not being a poet, tried to make a post about the image. The Santa in the piece was the Santa at our farm. Here is the link if you get a chance. It was fun too. http://gardenwalkgardentalk.com/2010/12/20/the-gnomes-take-on-santa-in-numbers/

I also work year round with a grower's nursery in WNY, so we have a bit in common. This nursery grows all kinds of trees and shrubs for wholesale and I post on them often. Now, they have their Christmas Tree Adventure going on with the Santa I mentioned and painted.

Gardens at Waters East said...

Karen,
Love you Christmas poem! I have been down your way a number of times this year to visit the Chicago Botanical Garden (am a member). That place is fantastic in every season.
I did enjoy going over your Blog since we have the same zone I figure I can learn something from your experiences. My garden is right on the shores of Lake MIchigan so plants should be much the same. Jack

Anonymous said...

I am grinning from ear to ear.

Hortiholic said...

Gardens at Waters East -- Thanks! If you are right on the shores of Lake Michigan, you may actually be a half- to full-zone warmer than my inland garden. Hope you have a great Christmas!

Hortiholic said...

Hey nittygritty-- Glad you enjoyed it. Hope Santa is good to you this Christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

Love it, Karen...Great poem!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share: