Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pin It

A Hushed October Morning


 October
by Robert Frost

O hushed October morning mild
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
Tomorrow they may form and go.



O hushed October morning mild
Begin the hours of this day slow.
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know.


 
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.




Slow, slow!
For the grape's sake, if they were all,
Whose leaves already are burnt with frost,
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost --
For the grapes' sake along the wall.




Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets and I especially like this poem. Rain and wind these past two days have spirited away much of the fall color but the memories remain. Happy Autumn!










By Karen Geisler

12 comments:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Very pretty, Karen! I wish the peak fall color wasn't so fleeting because it's incredible!

Hortiholic said...

Thanks. I guess we were spoiled last year by the long, warm fall because it seems like everything is moving too fast.

Alice @ Vinyl Garden Sheds said...

I just love the photos you shared. I really love the shades of these photos. Robert Frost is one of my favorite poet. I love his poem as well as his Road Not Taken. Thanks a lot for the share.

Hortiholic said...

I totally agree. The Road Not Taken is a great poem!

Jason said...

Gorgeous pictures. You've got a lot more red foliage than I do - mine I've got mostly from the serviceberry.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

You are having a spectacular autumn with all that color...and I love Frost too!

Donna said...

Beautiful Fall color and your photos captured it so well.

Hortiholic said...

I was afraid that with the drought we weren't going to have much fall color. Thank goodness I was wrong!

Hortiholic said...

Thanks so much!

Hortiholic said...

Hope you are having a lot of color in your area as well.

Cat of Landscaping Calgary said...

This is so gorgeous, the poem and the photos. It makes me feel the autumn day. Thank you for your work on this blog.

Hortiholic said...

Thanks for stopping by. It's nice to know I have a reader north of the border.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share: